Segodnya is a part of holding "Segodya multimedia" which a part of Media Group Ukraine
Media Companies / Groups
Media Group Ukraine
Joint stock company “System Capital Management” (SCM) (70,0001 %) is owned by Rinat Akhmetov, «SCM Limited» (29,9999 %). The company is registered in Cyprus. SCM Company (System Capital Management) Limited is for 100% part of SCM Group.
“Vydavnycha Grupa Segodnya” (“Today Publishing Group”), Private Joint Stock Company.
Affiliated Interests Founder
The richest Ukrainian citizen (according to “Forbes” as for March, 2016 he had $2.3 bln. Before war and crisis he had $16 bln. He took the 39th place in the world in 2012). He owns “Ukraina” (“Ukraine”) TV-channel in media area as well. Mainly his business is focused in metallurgic, coal mining and energetic areas. He was the main sponsor of the Party of Regions (now it is called “Oppositional bloc”) during the rule of Yanukovich. Member of Ukrainian Parliamentof two convocations (2006-2012).
Affiliated Interests Ceo
Vasyl Potapov is Director-General, editor in chief of “Segodnya Multimedia” (“Today Multimedia”), Private Joint Stock Company.
Before his work in “Segodnya Multimedia” (“Today Multimedia”), Vasyl Potapov was an Associate Director General responsible for business development in “Pronto-Media” multimedia company. It is a leader of Russian market of advertising information media outlets. “Pronto-Media” includes publishing chains in Russia, Belorussia, Kazakhstan and Ukraine.
Affiliated Interests Editor-In-Chief
Olga Guk is an editor in chief of the newspaper for 15 years with small breaks.
Other Important People
1. Igor Gujva was an editor in chief for long time. Currently he is not engaged in the project.
2. Oles’ Buzina was an editor in chief for several month prior to his murder (January – March, 2015).
3. Olena Gromnitska is a former press-secretary of the second president of Ukraine Leonid Kuchma. She headed the “Segodnya Multimedia” (“Today Multimedia”) holding from July 2011 to January 2012.
4. Dmytro Belyansky was a multimedia development director in 2011. He was a colleague of Olena Gromnytska. He is associated with Ihor Shuvalov who molds informational policy of INTER TV-channel.
5. Mykhailo Batig is one of UNIAN creators. He was an assistant of Gromnytska. Media called him a “censor” from administration of Yanukovich.
6. Vadym Denysenko. Currently he is a member of Ukrainian Parliament from BPP. In 2013 he was a Content Director in “Segodnya Multimedia” (“Today Multimedia”) holding.
Affiliated Interests other important people
All the mentioned people except for Denysenko can be considered as people with pro-Russian views and Oles Buzina had ultra-pro-Russian views. These people were brought up on Russian culture and this is exactly the tone they set in the newspaper for many years.
Revenue (in Mill. $)
Operating Profit (in Mill. $)
Advertising (in % of total funding)
Газета "Сегодня" – стабильный лидер рынка прессы 2015
It was rather simple to gather information about the newspaper, except for income. The media outlet belongs to two companies that belong to one holding. But this ease is seeming, since at the beginning of the newspaper existence Rinat Akhmetov denied his connection to it.
State register Ministry of justice of Ukraine of print media and information agencies as subjects of information activity. Retrieved in August 2016, from http://dzmi.informjust.ua/
Unified state register of the Ministry of justice of legal entities, individual entrepreneurs and civic formations. Retrieved August 2016, from https://usr.minjust.gov.ua/
Wikipedia. Ахметов Рінат Леонідович. Retrieved in August 2016, from https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ахметов_Рінат_Леонідович
Official web-site of Segodnya multimedia. Retrieved in August 2016, from http://segodnya-multimedia.com
MMR. Василий Потапов назначен генеральным директором холдинга Сегодня Мультимедиа. Retrieved in August 2016 from http://mmr.ua/show/vasilij-potapov-naznachen-generalnym-direktorom-holdinga-segodnja-multimedia/36183
(2016, March 1). Ліга.Новини. Бизнесмены Ринат Ахметов, Геннадий Боголюбов, Игорь Коломойский, Виктор Пинчук и Юрий Косюк вошли в список миллиардеров планеты по версии Forbes. Retrieved in August from http://news.liga.net/news/economics/9354852-zhurnal_forbes_nazval_5_samykh_bogatykh_ukraintsev.htm